Saturday, September 8, 2012

Using Media to Grow Closer to God

I have been reading Douglas Rushkoff's book Program or Be Programmed: The Ten Commandments for a Digital Age, and I've actually found it really interesting.  I'm a little surprised by this because I honestly thought that it would be all about teaching the reader how to create and develop programs--which, I'll be honest with you, is just not my cup of tea.  Rushkoff isn't just telling his audience how to program. Rather, he discusses the importance of understanding the programs that we are using everyday in digital media.

The first thing that caught my attention in this book, however, was actually in the introduction.  Here was the one quote that really stood out to me as something that I haven't thought about before:

"In the long run, each media revolution offers people an entirely new perspective through which to relate to their world.  Language led to shared learning, cumulative experience, and the possibility of progress.  The alphabet led to accountability, abstract thinking, monotheism, and contractual law.  The printing press and private reading led to the new experience of individuality, a  personal relationship to God, the Protestant Reformation, human rights, and the Enlightenment.  With the advent of a new medium, the status quo not only comes under scrutiny; it is revised and rewritten by those who have gained a new access to the tools of its creation." (Bold font added)

I think the most important aspect of the digital media, and digital revolutions, that often gets overlooked is the fact that it can bring us closer to God.  In learning the basics behind each program that we use we give ourselves the power to create, and aren't we promised that we will become creators if we reach Celestial glory?

It's a small step that we are taking here, but it's an important step.  I agree with Rushkoff in that we must be active in this digital media revolution.  The Gospel teaches us the importance of being active rather than passive, and I think that applies to digital media as well.  We can use new technology to benefit the Church and to bring more people to the Gospel, but we can also develop a more personal relationship with God as we learn to become creators ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment